Thursday, April 27, 2006

News from Brazil

I was talking to my mother on the telephone this afternoon and, to say the truth, I was appalled by the news she gave me (what's interesting is that my mom always has news. She always, doesn't matter how often I call her, always has something to tell me. It's either the ferrets or the weather or even people who passed away - she collects interesting daily things to tell me whenever I give her a call).

But today, I really wasn't expecting that. The news were simply sad. No one died, God forbid, but it was just as depressing. First, I think I hadn't given a thought about the matter of our conversation for maybe a month or so. The problems that were bugging my mind at the time I left my home country were far behind me. I had honestly thought I had gotten rid of them. However, as I said "hello" on the phone, I eventually heard a profound sadness and an unusual lack of joy in her voice. I instantly knew something was tormenting her.

Maybe tormenting is not the correct word... I know she's strong and she actually said she was over it the minute the event in question ended. But as she described everything and the way I pictured things happening, I felt my heart full of anger and grief. I wanted to wrap my arms around her and cry. Cry for not being there. Cry for how distant I am. Cry - just for the sake of it.

As to what happened, there's barely anything I can do. Even if I was home, my hands are completely tied and my mouth finally shut. There are things and people that you just have to let go. And this is a decision I've made, I'll let it go.

No comments: